July 16, 2013

When you start a forest fire unintentionally, it's still your fault

I feel as though today was a pretty successful day.  I ran a bunch of errands, including a trip to Hobby Lobby where I got a bunch of stuff to make cards.  I decided why buy cards when I can make them.  Here's what I've created so far:
I showed them to Jeremy when he got home. He couldn't stop laughing at the "Hello, how's it going" and the "Happy B-Dizzle" card. His direct quote was, "We're never buying cards again.  I also made a delicious dinner tonight.  I found a blog with a bunch of healthy recipes on it.  Normally I'm weary of healthy recipes because they have a lot of things I don't like in them or they are very time intensive, but this blog has great recipes that are really easy to make.  I made her 3 Cheese Lasagna Roll-ups last night, and I made her Chicken Enchiladas tonight.   Both were delightful.  The website is: www.eat-yourself-skinny.com/  Here's the recipe for the chicken enchiladas:

Skinny Chicken Enchiladas

For the sauce:

2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can diced green chilis
1-1/2 cups tomato sauce
1 tsp. southwest chipotle seasoning (Mrs. Dash)
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
3/4 cup fat-free chicken broth
Salt and fresh pepper to taste

For the chicken:

1 tsp. vegetable oil
2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 cup diced onion
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
Salt
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. southwest chipotle seasoning (Mrs. Dash)
1/3 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup tomato sauce
8 (6-inch) reduced carb whole wheat flour tortillas
1 cup shredded low-fat Mexican cheese
Nonstick cooking spray

In a medium saucepan, spray oil and saute garlic.  Add green chilis, chipotle seasoning, cumin, chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes.  Set aside until ready to use.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

Heat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.  Saute onions and garlic on low until soft, about 2 minutes.  Add chicken, salt, cilantro, cumin, oregano, chipotle seasoning, tomato sauce, chicken broth, and cook 4 to 5 minutes.  Remove from heat.

Spray a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with non-stick spray.  Put 1/3 cup chicken mixture into each tortilla and roll it.  Place in baking dish seam side down.  Top with sauce and cheese.  Cover with foil and bake in the oven on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes.  Top with scallions if desired and enjoy!

**Note: I'm not a huge fan of shredded chicken in enchiladas, burritos, etc. so I diced my chicken.  I also sauted my chicken with the spices and oil to get the flavor in it while it cooked instead of putting it in precooked like the recipe calls for.

No comments:

Post a Comment