January 30, 2013

I’ve got that elephant’s memory when it comes to nearly dying

It was hard to see through the billowing smoke, and the sirens and screaming made it hard to think clearly.  Panic and terror pursued my tender heart as I realized that Jeremy would most likely never let me cook again.  I couldn't believe that I let it get to this.  First the melted plastic spoon, then the melted plastic crock-pot handle, now this?!  I must really be letting myself go, or being with 35 eight- and nine-year-olds really is sending me to the nuthouse.
Okay, it wasn't really that bad, but it felt like it at the time.  I had just finished cooking dinner (I was in a bit of a rush because my Presidency meeting was coming quickly upon me), and we sat down to eat.  The meal was delicious, if I do say so myself.  Jeremy went to the other room to check his phone because he had heard an alert.  I was sitting at the dinner table, praising myself for whipping together such a lovely meal when I smelled it.  I caught the terrible whiff of something burning.  What could it be? I thought, The food is on the stove, and I turned off the oven.  I quickly turned around and saw my favorite grey pot holder smoking!  "Not again..." I moaned.  Jeremy quickly asked me what happened.  He dashed into the room, and said, "It smells like something is burning!"  Come to find out, I forgot to turn off one of the burners that was keeping the sauce warm, and later had set the pot holder on it.  This was the end result:

On a happier note, yesterday was Jeremy's birthday.  He's a whopping 27 years old!  We're thinking of getting him a hearing aide (aid?) next week.  To celebrate we had my former roommates, one of his former roommates, and a coworker of his come over Friday night for games.  On Sunday his siblings came over for dinner, and last night we went to dinner to Sam Hawks --where we went on our first date almost exactly a year ago (awe...).  It was a lot of fun to go back.  That place is delicious.  If you like Korean food, I highly suggest that you check it out.

**And for all of you smartypants out there that are thinking Nicole will eat Korean food? The answer is yes, so ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment