March 15, 2013

Bagels are like glue in your intestines and ensure that everything that enters your body will remain there until you die.

I've been on a new kick lately, these guys...


I guess it's not a new kick, it's more like an old flame that was recently rekindled.  I love making cupcakes.  They are so delicious and fun to decorate.  I even bought me a frosting piping kit and some greaseproof cupcake liners.  I'm going to become legit, and fat.  I found a fantastic website: www.yourcupofcake.com
She is amazing with cupcakes.  I've only  made two of her recipes, but they were spectacular both times.  The most recent cupcakes I made were for my ward's Relief Society birthday party.  I made some strawberry lemonade cupcakes, and they turned out marvelously.  The frosting is to die for.

Lemon Strawberry Cupcakes (created from recipes on yourcupofcake.com)



The Cakes:
Lemon cake mix (I used Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme)
1 cup sour cream
½ cup water
¼ cup milk
¾ cup oil
4 eggs
1 small box instant lemon pudding mix

Strawberry Buttercream:


3/4 C. butter, softened
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2-4 Tbsp. strawberry puree (see note)
3-4 C. powdered sugar, as needed


Directions:
1.     1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.    2. In a large bowl, beat eggs. 
3.    3. Add oil, water, and milk and beat again. 
4.    4. Stir in sour cream and then cake mix and pudding mix until well blended.
5.    5. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 20-28 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
       6. As soon as your cupcakes, place them on a cooling rack for about 5-7 minutes and then seal in an airtight container to make sure they stay perfectly moist.  The container will steam-up inside, but won’t worry… 

7. Buttercream: Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add vanilla extract and add 2 Tbsp. strawberry puree. Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. If it becomes too thick, add more strawberry puree.
8. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
**I didn't have my piping kit when I made these cupcakes.  You can still pipe frosting without the bag and tips.  Just put your frosting in a sandwich bag, and cut off a bit of one of the bottom corners.  Make sure if you are piping your frosting that your cupcakes are cool to the touch, and that your frosting is really thick.  I think I used almost 5 cups of powdered sugar for this buttercream recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment